Friday, June 19, 2015

Cheesy Squash Casserole



It's squash season here on the Alabama gulf coast, so we headed out to a local u-pick farm and loaded up.
With all the fresh picked squash, I wanted to make a casserole and today was the day, to do just that. This was my first time to try this recipe and I decided to put a twist on it, so I added some bacon bits...on my that was a GREAT IDEA!!! If you try this recipe, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
                                                                Blessings,
                                                                   Linda
Cheesy Squash Casserole

6 medium yellow squash, chopped fine
12 cup onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
34 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
2 eggs
13 cup milk
1 cup Ritz cracker, crushed
12 cup butter, melted
1/2 pkg. Real Bacon Bits

Directions

  1. Remove ends of squash and discard. Chop or cut squash into small fine pieces. Add salt to water and boil squash and onion until tender for approximately 15 minutes. Drain well.
  2. In a medium size bowl, mix cheese with squash mixture. Beat eggs and stir into milk. Add to squash mixture.
  3. Pour one-half of squash mixture into a 2 quart casserole baking dish. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cracker crumbs over and pour 1/2 of melted butter. Pour remaining squash mixture and repeat with remaining crumbs and melted butter on top.
  4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
  5. Enjoy!


         


Pin It

                       I'd love for you to stay connected with Coastal Charm!!!!
 photo sifacebook_zps613f8abb.png photo sipinterest_zpsb48cb7f3.png photo siinstagram_zpsd860b130.png photo sirss_zpsdcc3111c.png
 photo sibloglovin_zps9b4854fc.png photo siemail_zpsc310a359.png 

Linking up here...
Amaze Me Monday
MET Monday
The Scoop
Tweak It Tuesday







7 comments:

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Oh, my Grandmother used to make this, and I used to make it when I was first married. Thanks for reminding me to dig it out again, and you are a genius for adding bacon!

Judy Pimperl said...

Looks good and that does seem to be a good twist on the same old casserole. I LOVE bacon on/in anything!
Judy

Blondie's Journal said...

This looks and sounds heavenly---definitely Pinning! Thanks!

Jane x

Scribbler said...

This looks so good! I a going to make it tomorrow for dinner.

Anonymous said...

Anything with cheese is always good in my book, but the thing that I like about this recipe is that it uses up six squash! I think it is much healthier than macaroni and cheese. Have you ever frozen it?

Creations By Cindy said...

Looks great. I put sour cream in mine and cream of chicken soup too! YUM! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Melissa said...

This looks so good! I decided to grow spaghetti squash in the garden this year, because I love using it as a pasta alternative. Do you think it would work for this recipe?

Related Posts with Thumbnails